Tuesday 14 May 2013

Asset Modelling For My Anmimation

Here is the spaceship I modeled using displacement maps. Instead of engineering displacement maps from models I reverse engineered them by creating them in Photoshop first and then applying them to the model.

How I did it was by using primitives and UVing each individual face. I then spead these UV'd faces out on a tiled displacement map to give the illusion of detail. In a sense I did the modelling in photoshop rather than in maya. I absolutely love this workflow and will deffinately be using it in future projects to reduce modeling and  sculpting work hours.

I will duplicate this ship many times in my animation to show the colonies of the earth leaving in search of new planets. The only problem I am facing at this time however is the background. I need to have a background that is as detailed as the ship or it will look out of place.

Here is the final result of the ship:


No comments:

Post a Comment