Monday 15 April 2013

Project On the Side

After doing some research I decided to work a bit on my own away from the group and create my own project. I wanted to adopt a system similar to how Google operates. They dedicate 20% of their workers time to let them work on their own projects that loosely relate to the company to keep the creative spice alive.

In this brief I set out to create a character head sculpture that showed true emotion and personality.

I chose this because I feel as though this is the hardest aspect to create with any 3d model and CG. I also love zombies so I thought I would combine this fact into my 3d model so that I had drive to complete it to the highest quality possible. I actually loved doing this project because I felt personal connection with it. This reinforces that enjoyment is an important prerequisite to creativity.

Another reason I chose a zombie is because they are constantly portrayed as emotionless brutes who are hellbent on eating brains. This zombie however has a sense of sadness and longing in its eyes. This is a trait not often seen in zombies and why I was drawn to this particular sculpture. The original plan was to composite this model looking at itself in the mirror and seeing itself for the first time and remembering the life it once had as a human (however I ran out of time). Incorporating these feelings into the project really gave me a direction and I am happy with the result.

I now have come to a deeper understanding in the steps needed to generate creative 3d artwork. Before I looked at it from a very outside perspective, however now I try and connect with what I am designing.




No comments:

Post a Comment