Thursday 11 April 2013

Meeting with Karen

Had our first real meeting with Karin and I am very glad we did so. I felt earlier as though the concept was secondary to actually building a portfolio. This is because we were focusing more on the technical side of things rather than looking at the actual concept we proposed. Instead of focusing just on workflows we need to focus more on what we are actually producing from the briefs. A very important thing to think about is the creative freedom we have within our briefs or rather the illusion of creative freedom we have. Although we could have chosen anything that wasn't organic to change a movie scene we all seem to be creating robots of some kind. This was a decision that came about individually without influence. I think the reason for this was because we all have a predisposed notion that for something to be inorganic it must be a robot. This thought process really limits our creativity and overall diversity. With the new brief we are fighting for our creativity and really forced into a corner as to what we can and cant produce. Once again this relates back to the concept of creative freedom. We have to balance out the scales to accommodate what the client wants vs what we want to create.

After the meeting with Karin (the client) I realized that I had strayed very far off track from the brief. I was simply trying to embed any CG into any film without really thinking about the reason why. I quickly came to the conclusion that I needed to rethink my approach as I needed to actually change the meaning of the scene rather than just throw something in for the sake of it.

I think that this is an important skill to learn because a lot of the time in films where CG is implemented the director will instruct the compositors to build the scene with a particular mood and atmosphere that suits the needs of the film. Even small implementations can drastically change the viewers opinion of the scene and alter their interpretations.

I am thinking about going back to my original idea of using a war movie and embedding technology ahead of its time to change the atmosphere of the scene. Combining advanced technology with and old war film would bring about an interesting feel similar to a game called Resistance on the Playstation 3. Where aliens have invaded earth and are taking over the human race. Instead of aliens however, I wish to bring about a new scenario where the Nazis actually succeeded in developing war machines that overpowered the American army.




No comments:

Post a Comment