Thursday 27 September 2012

Walk Cycles

I have also been putting a lot of my time and effort into walk cycles of the main character. It meant that I had to set up a mirror in my room so that I could watch myself walk across the room. I examined human movements and used this information to make a walk cycle. The first walk cycle went well, however I realised after making the rig that I had not froze the transformations of the controllers which meant it was very hard to make it symmetrical  Not only that but I did not attach a global control to the rig which meant that the model walked across the canvas instead of in one place. This meant that when the model was imported into unity it actually walked away from the camera when you pressed 'W'. 



Because of this I had to create a whole new rig and start the animation from scratch which allowed me to correct my mistakes. In the end this was the best thing for the walk cycle because the final result was far superior than the first. Practice makes perfect. Not only that but from watching the character in the game I realised that in order to go up stairs the character had to jump so I thought it would be wise to add a jump cycle as well as a stationary pose. Here are the final results: 



Overall I am quite happy with it at the moment, the feet look quite static but that's because I used a reverse foot lock technique in the feet, evidently it works great on high poly characters but not so well with low poly. I will keep this in mind for next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment