Wednesday 26 September 2012

Communication is Key.

As the title states, I am finding that as we draw closing to the due date me and Tim are having to communicate a lot more which is changing the dynamics of our workflow. Because we are both learning the programs we have no idea what will and wont work. After creating a whole new model and walk cycle animation I gave the FBX to Tim which produced some very interesting results. Results that transformed my character model into something that resembled a retarded Tweedledum.
I was trying to solve the problem for days, remaking the rig, altering scale ratios of the rig controllers, changing units. But nothing seemed to work. Surprisingly enough after a bit of playing around I found that the problem could be solved by changing the settings in the actual FBX file from inches to cm. This fixed the problem because unity works in metric units and was being confused by the FBX format. We sighed with relief because it meant that Tim could play around with the animations.

That is another issue with our workflow, it seems that for a specific task to be done it means that someone else has to finish their task. Its like a hierarchy. I cant model till I know what exactly is in the game and Tim cant progress in unity until I finish specific models. If someone doesn't work it means that all of us suffer.

No comments:

Post a Comment