Wednesday 26 September 2012

UV Mapping

I was not happy with the colouring of the last character. This was because I was using straight colour shaders from Maya which made the character look very plain and bland (what I like to call Iceblock material). This really made the character feel tacky. I wanted the audience to 'believe' the character in the game world and so I decided to UV map the entire character instead. I also did this so that the group could have some input as to what they wanted the character to look like. With my workload already taking up all my time I figured it might give other team members a part to play in the character. However in the end I decided to do it myself as it was too hard to explain how to paint the UV map and know where to place certain shading to emphasize shadows on the model. To help me regulate where exactly I needed to paint I used the 3d paint tool in Maya to highlight areas where I wanted to add more detail.
From there I imported the files into Photoshop where I used an oil painting technique to layer on the base colour of the character. From there I added details and shadows to the character. The last step was to use the Photoshop function 'Overlay' to combine real life textures of the top of the clothing, skin, and hair to give the character a more realistic look. 

No comments:

Post a Comment